Presidential Progress: 1 year of Obama

A Timeline of Barack Obama’s policies, speeches made in his first nine months in office, one year after his election | by Micah Wilkins

Nov. 4 ‘” Barack Obama is elected as the first African American President of the United States. Yesterday marked once year since Obama’s election. 

Jan. 20‘” Barack Obama is sworn in as the 44th President.

February‘” Obama decides to send another 17,000 U.S. troop to Afghanistan, in an effort to return the focus of the war to the fight against Al Qaeda, the Islamic extremist terrorist network, and away from Iraq. He plans to withdraw all troops from Iraq by August of 2010. 

Feb. 17‘” Obama signs the $787 billion stimulus bill. The package includes increased spending to expand government projects and programs. The bill also includes and significant tax relief .   

Feb. 26‘” Obama proposes a 10-year budget.  The projected budget for the fiscal year of 2010 is $3.6 trillion, more than twice the current year’s budget of $1.75 trillion.  

April 2‘” Obama and leaders of other industrialized countries meet in London for the Group of 20 meeting, to discuss the current economy.  

June 4‘” In a speech delivered in Cairo, Egypt, Obama addresses the Islamic world and emphasizes the importance of seeking peace in the Middle East. 

June 17‘” Obama signs a document which extends partnership rights to federal workers in same-sex relationships. 

June 30‘” The Obama administration sends a detailed proposal to Congress for a new structure to regulate businesses. The plan expands federal control and sets standards for banks and businesses.

Aug. 7‘” Judge Sonya Sotomayer is confirmed to replace retiree Justice David H. Souter in the Supreme Court.

Sept. 9‘” Obama delivers a speech to Congress and to the nation to revitalize his priority of a national health care insurance program and correct false claims surrounding health care reform, made by opposing adversaries.

Oct. 9‘” The Nobel committee announces that President Obama will receive the annual peace prize. The committee stated that Obama has made important efforts to “strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.”