STA’s reckless driving causes concern

Neighbors complain to school administration about safety on streets | by MEGAN SCHAFF

For years, STA’s neighbors have been calling the school and reporting that students are speeding, neglecting to watch for people and cars and refusing to extend courtesy to the houses that surround the school. Already this school year, principal for student affairs Mary Anne Hoecker has received two phone calls; each from different neighbors and each complaining about students’ driving.

‘The thing that would truly change a student’s life forever would be if they hit somebody,’ Hoecker said. ‘I know our students. They wouldn’t easily survive that.’

Mr. Steve Bessenbacher, who lives directly across from STA on 57 th Street, agrees that some students speed and do not pay much attention while driving.

‘There are a tremendous amount of young children on the street,’ Bessenbacher said. ‘We have to make sure people are aware of what’s going on.’

Bessenbacher’s wife was one of the neighbors to call this year and alert Hoecker of reckless driving. According to Bessenbacher, his wife offered to have an off-duty police officer patrol the street if the problem persisted. Hoecker said police watching the street is a definite possibility and it would only take enough neighbors calling in.

‘Police visibility might slow our students down,’ Hoecker said. ‘If police are going to be patrolling this area that could be a signal to [students].’

Bessenbacher said the houses surrounding the school have discussed putting speed bumps in the roads. However, the neighbors decided the problem could be more easily solved by simple courtesy.

‘That””””s a dramatic solution to a problem that could be solved by mutual respect,” Bessenbacher said. ” We view STA as a neighbor of ours and we do our best to keep our eye on the school and keep it protected. We want to have the same respect back.’

Junior Leah Miller thinks that although police patrolling the area would slow speeding, it could eventually have a negative effect on STA students.

“I think it would be smart to make girls slow down but if they start getting tickets and fines there is going to be a great complaint,” Miller said.

Hoecker thinks STA is capable of changing its ways and keeping smart driving tactics in mind. The main goal is to be a safe driver and keep other people and cars from harm.

“I would say to all drivers slow down, put the cell phones down, be a careful driver and be courteous,” Hoecker said. “If I could prevent one driver from having an accident it””””s well worth it to me.”