The vulcan nerve pinch

The vulcan nerve pinch

I became aware of the great chasm between Gen X and Gen Me during Christmas break when I was at lunch with my dad and sister.

My sister was recounting a story about how in the car, when my sister angered my dad, he pressed down on her shoulder nerve. (Take your dominant hand to where your shoulder meets your neck and press down on the nerve. Tickles a bit, right?)

So anyway, I thought this was a pretty amusing way of expressing frustration. But it gets so much more funny.

So I asked my dad where he came up with his unique methods of discipline, and I would’ve never guessed that his inspiration was Star Trek. Evidently, that little maneuver is how they ‘Ëœdeactivate’ each other. I’ve included a picture for your viewing (dis)pleasure.

So I started searching around for information on this little maneuver and discovered that it is, in fact, called the ‘Vulcan nerve pinch’ that Spock uses, as an article says, ‘[to render] his opponent immediately unconscious and thus collapsing to the ground.’

I also came across

1) shirts with “how to”s

2) a picture of a man performing the Vulcan pinch on a  shark,

3) and a pretty disturbing family photo.

I’m pretty upset that Gen Me missed out on this: it changed my life.

Does Gen Me have an equivalent to the Vulcan nerve pinch? Comment and let me know?