Senior gives up Swiss life for year in US

Swiss exchange student adapts to new culture 5,000 miles from home | by KYLIE HORNBECK

STA senior Susanne Andenmatten arrived in the US only five days before her first day at an unfamiliar school in an unfamiliar city in an unfamiliar country.  Andenmatten is a foreign exchange student from Visp, Switzerland who will be staying with the Haywood family, which includes senior Holly and sophomore Hannah, for this school year.

With a background in speaking of three years of English, seven years of French and a lifetime of German, Andenmatten came to STA through the American Field Service from her home school of Spiritus Sanctus, a coed five-year kollegium (similar to a US high school).  She left her parents and 18-year-old brother, Johannes, to reach the foreign city of Kansas City about 5,000 miles away from Visp.  Although this is her first experience outside of Europe, Andematten looks forward to a school year away from home.

Dart – Why did you choose the US?

Susanne – ‘I wanted to go somewhere where everyone speaks English and Great Britain was not far away.  It was too close.  That is why I choose United States.’

Dart - What was your first impression of the US?

Susanne – ‘A lot of cars everywhere, and the people were really nice.’

Dart – What things do you particularly like about the US?

Susanne – ‘I like the intercultural foods: Mexican and Greek’¦ and I like the people who are really nice everywhere.’

Dart – Is there anything you dislike??

Susanne – ‘No.’

Dart – What are the major differences you have noticed so far?

Susanne – ‘The biggest difference is all the cars.  Also, In Switzerland my school isn’t all girls.  We have more classes, and we don’t change [classrooms]’¦ There are the same people in each class… And everything tastes sweeter here.’

Dart – Are there any others?

Susanne – ‘I think the food, the way people eat is different.  In Switzerland at lunch we eat a big meal with our family at home or at school, but in US it’s not a big meal, only small snacks.  At dinner we eat always together, but here we eat sometimes together and sometimes not.’

Dart – What challenges have you faced since you came to the US?

Susanne – ‘At the beginning it was a little bit confusing.  The language is the hardest part.  I can’t speak really good English so it’s hard to understand and speak it.’

Dart – Do you think speaking English is getting easier for you since you have been in the US?

Susanne – ‘It’s not easy to speak English. [It is getting] a little bit easier.  I think it’s not easy to say what you really mean.  Sometimes you say things really strange and not in the way you actually mean.’

Dart – What is something that you feel is the same about Switzerland and the US?

Susanne – ‘The people aren’t really different.  We all go to parties.  Parties aren’t the same here, but we go out, too.’

Dart – Do you see any differences between Swiss people and Americans?

Susanne – ‘I think it’s easier to speak with people I don’t know here.  They are all more open and friendly to me.’

Dart – What differences do you see between STA and your home school, Spiritus Sanctus?

Susanne – ‘We have more people in our classes and our classes are 50 minutes, and we have boys’¦There is more homework here than in Switzerland, and we don’t have so many frees.  We have more time for lunch, one to two hours, and we usually walk to the city for lunch.’

Dart – How do you feel about STA?

Susanne – ‘I like the school.  I think it’s cool when there are only girls.  All the people are nice and helpful.  I like the campus and the buildings.  It’s really nice.  I like the uniforms because it’s fast in the morning.’

Dart – How do you feel about living with a host family?

Susanne – ‘I like to know the difference between my family and my host family.  It shows me a new way of life.  It’s interesting.’

Dart – What do you hope to do while you are here?

Susanne – ‘I think I want to visit some cities around Kansas City and meet people and try some new sports, maybe [Catholic Youth Organization] volleyball or lacrosse or maybe CYO basketball.’

Dart – What have you enjoyed most about your experience so far?

Susanne – ‘Getting to meet new people and just being introduced to another culture and another lifestyle.’