State golf officials add sectionals

The Missouri State High School Activities Association added Sectionals to the golf process this year, creating further competition between Districts and State.  Now, only about 96 golfers will continue to State as opposed to the previous 125 golfers.

STA varsity golf player Madalyne Bird considers this addition a positive change.

‘The six hour rounds at State were just excruciating and it was hard to focus for that long,’ Bird said.  ‘[Adding Sectionals] is a good thing; it definitely makes for more competition and better players.’

STA varsity golf player Alexis Buford thinks the change will present more challenges.

‘[The addition of Sectionals] is just one more hoop to go through,’ Buford said.

The girls’  instructor, STA head golf coach Teresa Borchert is currently unable to comment.   STA’s temporary head golf coach Jack Garvin will fill in for Borchert until she returns.

In his new position, Garvin feels more relaxed about the addition of Sectionals.   

‘This is normal stuff and just another round of golf,’ Garvin said.

However, some drawbacks come along with the change.  

Garvin explains a shortened season and a lack of time to accommodate a regular practice schedule for State.

The players also express obstacles of their own. Bird conveys a stressful attitude toward her playing abilities.

‘I can only hope that I’ll just do the best I can because if I don’t make it, it’ll be one of the biggest disappointments because it’s my senior year,’ Bird said.  

Mentally, stress levels rise for Buford.

‘[The Sectionals tournament] will increase pressure mentally because it’s one more step to go through, as if Districts wasn’t enough,’ Buford said.

Despite these challenges, the players and coach set their goals high.

This year, Buford hopes to play her best in order to beat Notre Dame De Sion High School, whom she lost to at State last year.  

‘We played in a match [three weeks ago against Sion] and everyone did well,’ Buford said.  ‘I’m not nervous [about winning].’

Bird looks forward to her collegiate future, recognizing the many scholarships available to female golfers.

‘Girls’ golf is a growing sport lately,’ Bird said.  ‘Colleges are really looking for girl golfers.’

Garvin sets his goals closer to home.

‘Our goal is to get another banner for the gym; one is not enough,’ Garvin said.