Dart staff wins online Pacemaker award

DartNewsOnline was one of 17 websites nationally selected by NSPA as a Pacemaker winner.

Dart and Teresian adviser Brad Lewis holds up the Dart’s Pacemaker finalist award and award winner plaques. Lewis attended the NHSJC (National High School Journalism Convention) in Seattle, WA to receive the award winner plaque for STA. photo courtesy of Jim McCrossen, Blue Valley Northwest High School

by Anne Claire Tangen, Staff Writer

The Dart staff won a Pacemaker award for their online news source DartNewsOnline April 8 during the annual JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention in Seattle.

Awarded by NSPA (National Scholastic Press Association), a Pacemaker is journalism’s “preeminent award” for each type of publication- newspaper, yearbook, online website, magazine and broadcast, according to the NSPA website. Entries are judged by teams of professionals based on coverage and content, quality of writing and reporting, leadership, design, photography and graphics.

“I was so excited when I heard,” sophomore and Dart staff writer Margaux Renee said. “It just goes to show that all our hard work paid off.”

The Dart staff has previously received two other Pacemaker awards and has racked up seven Pacemaker finalist awards.