STA holds first class meetings of the semester

Students used class meeting time to plan future events and talk about certain topics.

Kim Harbur, co-founder of Gift of Life, speaks to sophomores about becoming organ donors. photo by Gabby Mesa

by Gabby Mesa, Staff Writer

Each class met Feb. 3 during activity for the first class meetings of the new semester. The meeting time was filled with videos, presentations, self-defense and planning.

Freshmen participated in a self defense workshop. Freshman Lisa de la Torre describes it as a pretty interesting experience.

“It was crazy how good [the instructors] were at self-defense,” freshman Abby Schipfer remarked.

Sophomores had a presentation and Q&A about becoming an organ donors. The speaker was Kim Harbur, who is the co-founder of a non-profit organization called Gift of Life.

“One [Gift of Life’s programs] is called Lifesavers and is the high school outreach program,” Harbur said. “That goal is informing high school students about organ, eye and tissue donation so they then make an informed decision when they’re asked the question ‘do you want to donate’ when they get their license or state I.D.”

The junior class meeting began with a video presentation about suicide prevention and how to handle the situations that were discussed in the video. According to junior Mamie Murphy, the class meeting closed with Junior Ring planning.

Senior Claire McCann says that seniors had plenty to discuss in their meeting. They talked about Academy Woman nominations, Prom, class day and graduation.