A special letter to the lucky lady in my life

Here’s to you, Mom.

by Alex Davis, Videographer, Multimedia Editor

story by Alex Davis

Dear Mom,

I just want to start this off by saying thank you. Thank you for putting up with me and my bad moods, my annoying habits and my dirty dishes that never seemed to get cleaned. Thank you for being there for me in my good moments, like when I won my first soccer game at St. Regis and when I had my very first solo for my middle school concert. Thank you for being there for me in my bad moments too; on days where everything was just too stressful and overwhelming, you were right there with me helping any way you could. Thank you for taking care of me in almost every way possible. Who would have thought that someone’s own mother would be their biggest support systems?

You said to me on the very first day of high school that my senior year was going to be here before I even realized it. “Alex,” you said, “Time is going to fly so fast, you’ll be a senior before you know it.” And look at me now, a tall, proud senior on her last leg of high school. How I even got to this point is beyond me. I couldn’t tell you everything I did in freshmen year or sophomore year or even the beginning of junior year really. But, the last bit of junior year and everything of my senior year so far I just remember so vividly, as if it all was just yesterday.

You were right, Mom. Time has gone by way too fast and I didn’t see it coming.

When I leave the house for college, I want you to take care of yourself. I want you to eat well, take time off for yourself when things become too much to handle and always remember the things that motivate you to keep persevering. Go on more date nights with Dad. Pay a little extra to go to the spa or to get your nails done. Have a movie night in and order take out. Do the things that make you happy. You’ve put your own life in hold for the sake of my sister and I, but it’s time for you to start your life again. It’s never too late to discover the things that make you happy. Just remember that I will be right there with you, even if I am several hours away at college

College is going to be really hard. I can already tell. There are still so many things that I don’t know or understand that it makes me want to just stay home with you. But then I hear my sister’s voice in my head saying, “Get the hell out of Kansas City and go start living your life.” And she’s right. I have to start thinking about my future, my career, my own expenses. But what about your future, Mom? What are you going to do when I’m not there at home anymore? Who’s going to be your thrift shopping partner in crime or your cheerleader when you don’t want to do anything? Who’ll be the one to replace me in your future?

And then I think to myself, “I’m not going to be replaced. She’s not going to find another person like me in the entire world because there’s only just one of me.” No matter what happens, I will always be your special little Alex, and you will always be my mom. That can never change, we’re irreplaceable.

Mom, never forget that I will always love you and the things you’d done to help me become the person that I am today. I am so grateful to have you in my life. Truly, thank you.
Forever yours,

Alex