Gardasil-related deaths worry girls

by Chelsea Birchmier

A government report released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Aug. 18 reveals 32 deaths  caused by the HPV vaccine, Gardasil, leaving girls questioning the safety of the vaccine.

Ms. Shannon Schrag’s daughter, Wichita South High junior Gabrielle Swank, received her Gardasil shots in November 2007, February 2008, and June 2008. After each shot, her symptoms worsened. After the third, she experienced sickness, hair loss, difficulty breathing and loss of feeling in her hands. She began to experience seizures and even transient ischemic attacks, or ‘mini-strokes. Swank was eventually diagnosed with central nervous system lupus, central nervous system vasculitis, POTS syndrome and a seizure disorder.

“I believe that doctors are encouraging the Gardasil vaccine based on lack of knowledge and studies,” Schrag said in an e-mail interview. “The majority of physicians do not know the risks and side effects associated with it. The new information and studies surfacing on Gardasil is creating doubt and questions in the medical community, and doctors are now hesitating before vaccinating.”

Gardasil, manufactured by Merck & Co., Inc., is a vaccine for girls ages 9 to 26 that helps prevent four strains of HPV, the human papillomavirus, which can cause cervical cancer. Girls receive Gardasil as a series of 3 shots in 6 months.

“Gabi’s life has changed drastically since she received the Gardasil vaccine,” Schrag said. “She is no longer able to cheer, she struggles with her school work and requires the assistance of tutors. She is not able to attend school on a regular basis. She spends the majority of the time at home or in bed.”

Common side effects of Gardasil include fainting, dizziness and nausea. Of the 14,072 adverse reactions reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, 7 percent were considered serious reactions which resulted in hospitalization, disability, life-threatening illness or death.

Ms. Karen Morelock, nurse manager at Pediatric Care North, however, continues to encourage girls to receive the vaccine.

“I would say that we have complaints about more pain with the injections in general,” Morelock said. “The girls say it hurts a little bit more than other vaccines. We’ve had a few faint after injections, but really no more than we see with other vaccines.”

Morelock highly recommends the Gardasil vaccine for girls hoping to protect themselves from cervical cancer.

“[Gardasil] is a safe vaccine,” Morelock said. “[Merck has] contributed over 23 million doses of Gardasil, and we don’t see, at least in our practice, and I haven’t heard any problems in other offices as far as more side effects or problems after administration.”

Sophomore Shannen Freeman received her first shot in May and has now completed her Gardasil series.

“After I first got them I started feeling a little dizzy,” Freeman said. “[My arm] was a little sore for a couple days. It was worth it though.”

However, Freeman’s opinion changed after hearing the report on the deaths.

“If I had known that I could have died during the administration of Gardasil, I wouldn’t have [taken it],” Freeman said. “And if my mom would have known, she wouldn’t have let me take it.”

If Schrag had known of the potential risks of Gardasil, she wouldn’t have wanted Swank to receive the vaccine either.

“For anyone considering the vaccine, HPV and cervical cancer are preventable with abstinence, other precautions and interventions besides Gardasil,” Schrag said. “The benefits of Gardasil do not outweigh the risk when you are fighting for your life. Educate yourself on all of the risks and benefits before you decide to vaccinate yourself with Gardasil.”