Athletic department hires new coaches

The basketball and swim and dive teams will each have new head coaches for the 2015-2016 school year.

by Mary Hilliard

The STA athletic department announced May 8 two new additions to the coaching staff: basketball coach Amanda Hanneman and swim coach Rob Cole.

Hanneman takes over the head varsity coaching position after the mid season dismissal of Megan Nyquist. She played collegiate basketball at the University of Missouri.

“Coach Hanneman is a great addition to our coaching staff and has already hit the ground running as the head coach of the basketball program,” athletic director Mark Hough said. “She brings experience as an outstanding basketball player in the high school and college ranks, as well as experience as a high school and college coach. The team is excited to begin summer workouts and is already looking forward to next season.”

Cole is filling the head coach position for swim team after former coach Andy Wilcox left to take over Rockhurst High School’s new robotics program. Cole teaches physical education at St. Peter’s Catholic grade school and currently coaches at Shawnee Mission East High School, where he has won 5 straight Kansas state swim titles and 11 Sunflower League titles.

“We’re very excited with the hiring of Coach Cole,” Hough said. “His experience and accolades speak for themselves, while his association with the Catholic school system made him the ideal individual for the job. Coach Wilcox helped build a strong reputation for this program and we’re very excited for Coach Cole and his staff to continue driving it forward.”