Confessions of a boring senior

I reveal some of my more embarrassing moments at STA.

Confessions of a boring senior

by Leigh Campbell

Several weeks ago seniors were asked to submit their senior confessions to the yearbook. We were only allowed to submit one. So I thought I would use my last column in the dart to elaborate on some confessions I have to get off my chest.

I cried freshmen year when I got a detention for accidentally dropping my badminton racket.

Okay, I am still bitter about this one. Let me set the scene for you. I was just a little innocent freshman, scared of authority and fearful of breaking any rules. I was flourishing in the badminton tournament with my partner Caroline Crockett. Winning the tournament was a hallmark achievement for me at STA. However, during one class I made a fatal mistake. I felt the grip of the racket slip between my fingers. The metal rim barely touched the ground before I grabbed it quickly. Nope, too late. I remember Mrs. O’Rear calling me to her office for a detention. I was devastated and could not hold back the tears. Not only did I cry at school (the most embarrassing thing I have ever done) I also went home and cried to my mom. To this day that detention is the only form of punishment I have ever received at STA. If there is anything I could change about STA, it would be that ridiculous badminton rule.

I went to a free instead of Newspaper class sophomore year.

This one is not embarrassing on principle, I know many people that have done this. However, it was not the beginning of the semester. It was not like I didn’t know my schedule. This was well into second semester. I had gone to silent study in windmoor. As I sat working on homework my schedule fell out of my netbook. My heart started to race. I started to sweat. I doubled checked my schedule. Yep, I should be in Newspaper. I grabbed my things and literally ran out the door leaving my accountability and sprinting across the quad. I was so embarrassed to face all the juniors and seniors in my Newspaper class – I tried to laugh it off but I think the pit stains gave away my anxiety about the event.

Some not-to-be-named classmates and I snuck into the dome room in M&A.

Just last week in our final Friday at STA, friends and I decided that we needed to explore the unknown parts of our school. Naturally, we headed to fourth floor M&A. After finding the Harry Potter room (a KCYA office decked out in Harry Potter paraphernalia) we found a door. I don’t want to reveal the location of the room and the thrilling way we got there (it involved climbing through a window) but the room was circular with gravel floors. Really not that interesting, but the thrill of finding the room was exciting enough to make for a fun time. Being honest, my fear of punishment from freshmen year is still a part of me, so I really hope I don’t get in trouble for writing this.