Students work for STA after school

Administration hired several students to help clean STA after school for wages.

story by Leigh Campbell, photos by Torie Richardson

Four students have begun working for STA after school, according to principal of student affairs Mary Beth Compton.

Senior Alexia Arrieta and junior Jewell Allen both work for STA after school. According to Allen, she began working for STA after her sister Emma Allen handed down the job to her.

“It was two years ago, and Ms. Hoecker announced over the intercom that if anyone wants to work for STA, they can come see her,” Allen said. “It was first-come, first-serve. So my sister did that. And after she got an actual job, she passed it on to me.”

Similarly, Arrieta began working for STA after hearing Compton’s urging over the intercom at the beginning of the school year.

[nggallery id = 983]

“Over the summer I was looking for jobs, but most of them wanted me to have work experience,” Arrieta said. “And this is a great way to get work experience because is is not that demanding as far as time is concerned.”

According to Arrieta, most of the time she only works 15 minutes to one hour every day, cleaning chalk and dry erase boards. Allen also usually works less than an hour after school each day taking out the recycling or dusting chairs in the Windmoor Chapel.

“It is easy and not very time-consuming, so it’s nice to have a little extra to pay for my extra bills that I have,” Allen said.

According to Arrieta, students get paid slightly less than $8 an hour. They are given a paycheck every two weeks.

“We do get these really cool paychecks and I feel really adult and mature,” Arrieta joked.

Arrieta is putting her $140 a month toward the the choir trip to Los Angeles this April. According to Allen, she saves her money for various expenses she may have.

“I am really happy that I can contribute [financially], especially with my parents,” Arietta said.

Both students agree the program is convenient and helpful. In addition to work experience and money, Arrieta feels as though she is contributing to the school.

By the Numbers

15-60 minutes students work for STA after school

2 years junior Jewell Allen has worked for STA

70 dollars students are paid each every two weeks