Theology class schedule change leaves me confused

by Jessie Culver

STA students must receive four credits of English, Math and three credits of science, social studies and world language. The new four day theology classes have caused controversy over these requirements.

In years past, students’ theology courses were three days a week. Administration decided to change this to four days a week.

With this significant change, students are given half a credit for theology courses instead of the quarter credit given previously. Therefore, students should not be required to take a theology course for eight semesters. With such a change, students would have the opportunity to pursue other electives.

Theology is a large part of the curriculum at STA; however, so are other areas of study. Being a college preparatory school, our workload is heavy and rather demanding. Students begin to struggle among what classes are the most important. Grades begin to slip and students are left to dig themselves out of  what seems like an endless hole.

Administration and teachers alike wish to see students succeed, but the four theology classes a week are actually adding unnecessary workload to already busy students.

Students are required to take four theology courses in order to graduate: Theology in Faith, Morality, Social Concerns and World Faiths. Other theology electives were needed to fulfill the necessary credit minimums. The extra theology courses and four day schedule lead end up being the students detriment.

Administration should either allow students to take one theology course a year, or go back to the three day cycle.

From personal finance, foreign language and theology courses, students are only able to take very few classes of their choice. This affects many juniors and seniors as they begin to think of their college majors. Why take courses that may not benefit the students today, and in a future career? When will the administration allow students take control of certain aspects of their curriculum?