The Weekly What

by Audrey Carroll, photo courtesy of The Washington Post

If you’re reading this, you are probably confused on what the heck this blog even is. Let me explain.

As someone who is very passionate about educating and informing people on world and current events, I decided to start a current events blog on DNO. I’m going to try to keep this blog informative, enjoyable and maybe even funny. Who knows– I can drop some pretty good political jokes every now and then.

I got inspired to create this blog after subscribing to theSkimm (which I highly suggest that you do) which takes current events and narrows them down to small, easy to understand paragraphs. I hope that is what I will be achieving here with this blog, The Weekly What.

This blog will normally be updated every Monday morning.

Instead of explaining to you what this blog will look like, just let me show you instead.

Let’s get down to it.

Week of Nov. 9-16

Nov. 9 2014- Leader of ISIS injured in air strike

What?

It’s probably not as bad as it sounds but…yes.  Iraq’s Defense and Interior ministries reported that the leader of ISIS, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, was injured in an air strike, which was targeted towards a meeting of ISIS militants in Iraq. Iraqi officials do not yet know the extent of Baghdadi’s injuries.

Oops.

UPDATE: Nov. 13 2014- Islamic State has released an audiotape that is believed to be by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, even though there has been recent reports of his possible injury. The recording does not mention the air strike, however officials do think the voice in the recording really belongs to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. The recording bashes on ISIS’s opponents and calls its members to come forth and cause even more violence. Also, after previously refusing to join forces with ISIS, al-Qaeda is now officially teaming up  with Islamic State to fight off U.S.-backed Syrian rebel fighters. U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says to “prepare for a long and difficult struggle.” How comforting.

Nov. 12 2014- The 100th woman is sworn into the U.S. Congress

What?

Yep, 100 is the lucky number for Alma Adams. Adams won a vacant House seat in North Carolina. After working in North Carolina’s General Assembly for 20 years, Adams begins her new job in Congress right away since she won a vacant seat. Alma Adams is now the 100th woman in Congress, that is, number 100 out of the  535 members of the House and Senate. There is still a large inequality present with women only making up roughly less than one-fifth of Congress, but it is a huge milestone for women nonetheless. Adams’ response? She is excited and ready to get to work. “My friends, we did it,” Adams said. “And ain’t no stopping us now.”

A seat in Congress for you, Alma Adams. You go, Alma Adams.

Nov. 13 2014- Russia makes a move, sends many tanks and troops into Ukraine

What?

Yeah, Ukraine and Russia have been squabbling for a while now. Basically this all started when protesters kicked Ukraine’s pro-Russian president, Viktor Yanukovych, out of his position. Ever since, pro-Russian separatists, Ukrainians who do not want to be a part of Ukraine anymore, have been fighting against the Ukrainian army. However there was a cease-fire in September, but the fighting is now beginning again in eastern Ukraine. So far, Russia has denied their direct involvement in the issue, but now President Obama is directly eyeing Russia, telling them to uphold their cease-fire agreement.

Dear Russia, we don’t love the way you lie. Sincerely, the rest of the world.

Knock knock.

Who’s there?

Philae.

The European Space Agency’s Rosetta mission successfully landed its Philae probe on a comet, which is a big deal because it is the first comet landing in history. However, there was a glitch according to the European Space Agency (ESA). The ESA believes Philae may have bounced before landing on the comet’s surface; harpoons were supposed to shoot out and anchor Philae onto the comet but they did not deploy. Despite this error, the ESA is just ecstatic with their achievement. As they should be, because this accomplishment is out of this world.

So, this is how the post will typically look like, a few current event summaries with a knock knock joke at the end. I hope you all enjoyed this first post and I’ll see you back here next week!