Time for a talk: class discussions need improvement

by Victoria Rochardson

Dolan calls them Fishbowls. In Himes’ class, you form a Circle of Trust. Sanem simply calls them discussions.

Whatever you call them, they are terrifying.

As a girl who has always loved to learn, I pay attention in class. I embrace school not only to be successful when I pursue a career, but to gain knowledge.

However, high school has altered my perspective on learning in general. Now, my opinion on any given topic is important not only outside the classroom, but within it as well.  Whether in history, English or theology, everything is suddenly left open to my interpretation. In addition, and also quite suddenly, I am expected to share my innermost thoughts with girls I may or may not even personally know. Let me reiterate: it is terrifying.

After some thought, I have come up with two ways that teachers can help students ease into the process of letting (at least part of) their minds be known to (at least part of) the world.

I have also added some advice for students who, like me, are frightened by discussions.

Here we go:

1. Teachers: If you are going to grade me on how often I add to the discussion, give me specific opportunities to share my opinion without having to feel as if I must interrupt someone.If you want me to be actively engaged in what my classmate is saying, it means I’m not thinking about what I am going to say next.Realize that articulating your thoughts on a complicated subject is much different than having a conversation with your friends.

Just say six words: “Does anyone have something to add?” This open question can yield so many positive results, and prevents a feeling of helplessness when attempting to earn participation points.

2. If there’s no right answer, don’t tell a student her answer is wrong. I understand that some answers may seem loosely connected to the subject at hand, but it is a bit rude to look at someone as if they are from another planet for adding her opinion. It is up to you to establish a “safe” environment. You don’t do that by tearing specific answers apart and applauding others.

3. Students: your opinion is valid. Your classmates are trying to form an opinion about the topic; they don’t have time to judge you, even if they wanted to. In fact, they are probably just as shaken up as you are. Relax, and you will have an easier time articulating what you really want to say.