Teenagers should watch satire news shows

by Arinna Hoffine

When I was younger, I was never terribly concerned with being caught up on current events. With the many global tragic events occurring, I repeatedly felt helpless. Why bother making myself feel guilty over things I can’t fix? But now I’m eighteen. I can legally vote. I know all 27 constitutional amendments by heart. I can tell you details of any major current event. When I first became aware, I didn’t think much of it, but half my classes (Debate, AP US Government, Newspaper) require that I know what’s going on. If you’re ignorant, you’re completely lost.

A recent satirical news show sparked my interest in current events. In April 2014, two weeks after my 18th birthday, HBO premiered “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” at 10 p.m. on Sundays. The quick wit and and thirty minute length make it convenient, informative and entertaining. The show discusses heavy topics such as drones, Ferguson, MO and violence in the Middle East. Host John Oliver slips in jokes that lighten the mood without sacrificing the severity of these problems. The jocular breaks from the news parts of the report make it easier to swallow.

If Oliver doesn’t fit your sense of humor and political views, there are many satirical shows to choose from. “The Colbert Report” airs at 10:30 p.m. on Thursdays and provides a liberal, Democratic viewpoint. “The Daily Show” comes on thirty minutes earlier on the same night, and is slightly more Democratic than Republican. “Real Time with Bill Maher” is perfect if you don’t have a political leaning, and airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. There are not many conservative satirical shows, but a neutral option would work just as well to get information on world issues.

While satire TV shows are one way to get your daily dose of the news, I believe that it is the best option for our age group. Sitting down at the breakfast table with a mug of black coffee to stare over your reading glasses at the newspaper every morning would probably work just as well, but that option doesn’t fit the busy morning schedule of a high school student. It is much more convenient to sit down at the end of a long day, to laugh and unwind for half an hour, while still being productive.

Being caught up on the news will make you more confident in family and academic discussions. You can participate in adult conversations and blow your relatives and teachers away with your super mature, worldly knowledge. And when the time comes, you will be a more informed voter.  The news can be very upsetting; satire makes it more tolerable–without losing any of the informative aspects.