STA to consider new track, soccer field

The possibility of a new track and renovated soccer field at STA will be discussed at a school board meeting next Wednesday.

According to STA president Nan Bone, the school board gave approval in the spring to determine whether a new track around an improved soccer field would fit. The property has been surveyed, and the proposed facilities would fit.

‘In reality, it would be exactly what you see now, just a better facility,’ Bone said.

Athletic director Mark Hough believes the new track and soccer field would benefit the entire athletic department.

‘We have really good athletes and really good coaches, but no facilities for them,’ Hough said.

With a full sized soccer field, STA could host soccer tournaments or even districts, according to Hough. The soccer field would be made full sized, allowing STA to host soccer tournaments or even districts. The lacrosse and dance teams could also use the field for practices. Hough said the improved soccer field would allow the dance team to practice their routines on a similar surface as they perform on at Rockhurst High School football games.

Bone has not yet decided whether the soccer field will have natural grass or synthetic turf, as both offer different benefits.

‘Most of us are educators,’ Bone said. ‘We need professionals or experts to tell us all the advantages or disadvantages of different turfs.’

According to Hough, the track also offers many possibilities to STA sports teams, summer conditioning programs and the school’s new walking club. Junior Lane Schulte, who runs track and cross-country, believes the new track would significantly improve both programs significantly.

‘It would make our track team better because we’d be able to practice on an actual field,’ Schulte said. ‘It would improve the program a lot, especially the sprinters.’

Schulte says the track team usually practices behind an abandoned school at 75th Street and Troost Avenue.

‘It’s barely a track’”it’s basically just a concrete doughnut,’ Schulte said. ‘It will make a big difference to practice on a rubber track.’

Hough also believes the track would be valuable to the track team in a variety of ways.

‘I’ve watched girls doing hurdles in the parking lot between cars,’ Hough said. ‘And the track is much healthier than running on the street because of its smooth terrain.’

According to Bone, the track would most likely have six lanes in order to fit comfortably, and the hill surrounding the current soccer field would have to be leveled slightly to accommodate it. No additional bleachers would be added, Bone says, because parents usually like to spread out blankets and set up folding chairs.

The improvements to the facilities would not significantly affect the surrounding neighbors, according to Bone. There would not be a loudspeaker system or lights, since the games and practices take place in early evening. No additional parking is necessary, and Bone has told neighbors that there wouldn’t be an influx in traffic.

‘We always ask visiting teams to make sure they park in the student parking lot and arrive in a bus,’ Bone said. ‘We’re still being cognizant of the issues.’

According to Bone, the opportunity for the new track and soccer field will be discussed at the upcoming school board meeting, even if it is not the main concern.

‘It takes money to make things happen,’ Bone said. ‘Our priority is to first finish our chapel campaign.’

Bone is still hopeful that the athletic renovations will happen relatively soon.

‘The question I always ask myself is ‘ËœIs it right for our girls?” Bone said. ‘If the answer is yes, then it will eventually get done. I think the answer for this is yes.’