Star spotlight: Jacqui Brewer

by Natalie Fitts

Jacqui Brewer - Star Spotlight photo by Julia Hammond

Social studies teacher Jacqui Brewer will open her own dress shop, Brookside Betty’s, around June 1 at 6215 Oak St. Here she discusses what preparations she has made for the store and what the store will be like.

How long have you considered opening a dress shop?

I’ve been thinking about opening a shop for about 8 years, but only started thinking about it seriously last spring. There was a strip not far from my home that I thought would be perfect for a shop. I thought first about trying to establish an online presence first, but decided around Christmas that with the type of store I’m opening a brick and mortar location would be more successful.

What made you want to open a dress shop?

I love dresses. I have too many dresses. I also enjoyed working in retail in the past and helping people find clothing they love. I also think that the retro dress market is a little under served in the KC area. There are a couple good shops like Donna’s [Dress Shop] and Retro Vixen, but sometimes the sizes/choices are limited.

Are you working with any other people on the store?

Mostly I’m working with my husband, but I am also getting some help from good a friend who worked with me at J.Jill and Tommy Bahama when I was still in school.

Do you have previous experience in retail?

I worked in retail for 10 years, through undergrad, grad school, and even a little beyond. I’ve worked at store such as J. Jill, Barnes and Noble, Tommy Bahama and several others. My first year at STA, I worked part-time at Soma.

What do you think will be the biggest challenge you’ll face?

I am most concerned about having enough of the right inventory. I know what I like personally, but it’s more of a challenge to make predictions about what others would like. To address that, I have been putting together mini focus groups with friends, co-workers, via Facebook and even some STA students.

What are you most looking forward to?

I’m looking forward to the store being finished. There are so many things to think about: inventory, lighting, mirrors, fixtures, insurance, etc. It will be nice to have a beautiful finished boutique.

What kind of products will you sell in your store?

I will mostly be selling retro style dresses. I will have a vintage rack as well. Since I’m opening in the summer, I’ll be carrying some retro swimwear. Also, accessories like sunglasses, scarves, parasols, jewelry and anything else I think would be nice or fun in the store.

What steps have you already taken toward opening your store?

So far, I’ve secured financing, gotten a lease, bought some mirrors and light fixtures on a recent trip to Ikea in Minnesota. I also got a great deal on a three way mirror and a cashwrap at a Macy’s that was closing. Most recently I placed my first two dress orders, and am very excited to get those on my website as soon as possible.