Athlete of the issue: Anna Marie Fiorella

unknown
Fletcher_20140128_2256 copy
by Libby Hyde, photo by Kelly Fletcher

Junior Anna Marie Fiorella, or Fio, is the only junior playing basketball this year. As a varsity team player, she devotes two and a half hours every day after school for practice and two to three games per week.

According to Fiorella, the Hyvee Shootout was the best game the team has played thus far into the season. The Hyvee Shootout is an annual college showcase at Avila University with teams from both Missouri and Kansas public and private high schools.

“The best game I’ve played this season was the second half of the Truman game,” Fiorella said. “I went in and we were down by 40 points, and just did my best and scored about 13 points in the last half of the game.”

Fiorella discovered her love of the game from her brother Michael, nicknamed “Big Mike” by his younger sister.

“My brother played and he basically taught me how to play basketball,” Fiorella said. “He made me play all the time, and he just got me into the sport so much.”

With her enthusiasm and love of the game, Fio is a key leader on her team.

“Fio is always enthusiastic and keeps everyone motivated to play hard and hustle every play,” sophomore Grace Kitts said.

According to Fiorella, the best part of being on the team is how close she is with the other players, despite being the only junior.

“I’ll probably be the only senior next year, so that a big responsibility,” Fiorella said. “Everybody on varsity bonds so close together because it’s a five to six month commitment where you are with these girls every single day.”