The year ahead in entertainment

MCT
by Emily Wemhoff

2014 will be a big year for entertainment. From the third installment of the Hunger Games films, to Ed Sheeran’s much anticipated second album, from new movies to new music, 2014 is sure to be one for the record books.

Movies

“Divergent”               March 21

In a futuristic Chicago, Ill. people are divided into five factions based on their personalities and skills. Protagonist Tris Prior discovers that she is Divergent, meaning she does not fit into any one faction. When she uncovers a plot to destroy all Divergents, she must fight to stay alive before it’s too late. The movie stars Shailene Woodley and Theo James.

“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1”                  Nov. 21

fall films

Hunger Games champion Katniss Everdeen has returned from the 75th Hunger Games to find a new District 13 coming out of the shadows. Katniss reluctantly agrees to become “the Mockingjay,” a symbol of the rebellion against the Capitol.

“The Amazing Spider-Man 2”                            May 2

Spider-Man faces off against the powerful villains Rhino and Electro while balancing his relationship with girlfriend Gwen Stacy and the return of his best friend Harry Osborn. The film stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Jamie Fox.

“22 Jump Street”               June 13

Officers Schmidt and Jenko return to action and go deep undercover at a local college to crack a crime ri

ng within a fraternity. The film stars Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill.

“The Fault in Our Stars”              June 6

Based on the John Green novel of the same name, the film follows Hazel and Gus, two fiery teenagers who share a disdain for the conventional. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.

Music

55th Annual Grammy Awards

Ed Sheeran                   Feb. 17

Sheeran’s sophomore album will be released on Feb. 17. Although he has not announced an album title, Sheeran said one of his new songs will be called “Photograph.”

Chris Brown               TBA

Chris Brown’s long-delayed sixth album, titled “X” was originally supposed to be released last June. He released five tracks off the new album in November as a preview. The album should be available in early 2014.

Adele                      TBA

85th annual Academy Awards

Adele’s much-anticipated follow-up to her smash hit album ‘21’ is reported to be released in the summer of 2014. Inspired by an intense break-up, Adele’s previous album was full of heartbreaking ballads. Now, however, Adele is settled

with a boyfriend and a baby boy. It’s likely that the new record will be more inspired by Adele’s love.

Lily Allen            March 2014

After Allen announced her retirement in 2009, no one was expecting more music from the British pop star. Her new album, to be released in March, will be Allen’s third.

Young the Giant            Jan. 21

After a four-year hiatus, ‘Mind Over Matter’ is the second studio album for the alternative band. After their first single off the album, “It’s About Time,”  was released, fans have built up much anticipation.

OLY-SKI-SLALOM

TV

2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia           Feb. 7

Held from Feb. 7-23, the 22nd Winter Olympics will include 98 events in 15 winter sports. Look for the return of U.S. skier Lindsey Vonn and snowboarder Shaun White.

“Girl Meets World”                     TBA

Set to debut sometime in 2014, the spinoff of “Boys Meet World” will follow Riley Matthews, the teenage daughter of Boy Meets World main characters Cory and Topanga Matthews, as Riley navigates the challenges of life.

“Late Night with Seth Meyers”                TBA

The well-known “Saturday Night Live” personality and the longest-serving “anchor” on the show’s “Weekend Update” will take over as host of NBC’s “Late Night.”

“Pretty Little Liars”              Jan. 7

The last twelve episodes of Season 4 of the wildly popular show will air starting in January.Will the question be answered: Is Ali dead or alive?

“Revenge”                                March 9

The popular drama will move to 10 p.m. Sunday nights after its winter hiatus. The show will pick up after the eventful wedding of socialite Daniel Grayson and protagonist Emily Thorne.