Athlete of the Issue: Ann Campbell

20131118_1898
by Libby Hyde, photo by Kelly Fletcher

Junior cross country runner Ann Campbell placed 5th in the State competition in Jefferson City Nov. 9.

She finished the 5 kilometer (3.1 mile) race in 18 minutes and 47 seconds, only 4 seconds slower than her fastest personal record of 18 minutes and 43 seconds.

According to Campbell, her biggest motivation for achieving her best times are her varsity teammates and coaches.

“My coaches are always giving me times I should hit and kind of motivating me and believing in me,” Campbell said. “If I am doubting myself, they always tell me I can do it.”

Campbell’s teammate Elaine Kerr said she was proud of her for placing at state, yet not surprised at her accomplishment.

“I know how good she is and how well she has done this season,” Kerr said.” So I kind of expected her to place. But I was really happy for her for placing so well because I know how hard she has worked this season.”

For team scoring in competition, there are seven runners on varsity, but only the top five will score points. The goal is to get the lowest amount of points, because the team with the lowest score wins. The first place runner earns one point, the second runner earns two points, and so on.

“The team dynamic makes it more fun because I always want the team to do well, so it plays in in wanting to score as few points as possible,” Ann said.