Dance team performs at Rockhurst

unknown
The STA dance team performs during halftime of the Rockhurst High School football game Sept. 28. During their performance they made an R,H and S to celebrate the team.
story by Cassie Florido, photos by Kelly Fletcher

The varsity STA dance team performed their annual dance routine at halftime of the Rockhurst High School football game Sept. 27.

The team, dressed in their traditional blue Rockhurst outfits, danced to a mix of Icona Pop’s “I Love It,” Lady Gaga’s “Applause” and Ke$ha’s “Crazy Kids.”

However, this dance is different from all the other dances throughout the year.

According to senior dance team member Camille Porterfield, the seniors on the team are in charge of choreographing and choosing the music for the routine.

Junior Kylie Ceriotti said she loves the idea of the seniors putting together the music and choreography.

STA dance team practices for an upcoming performance Oct. 26 in the M&A Building dance studio. The next day the dance team performs at Rockhurst High School's football game during halftime.
STA dance team practices for an upcoming performance Oct. 26 in the M&A Building dance studio. The next day the dance team performs at Rockhurst High School’s football game during halftime.

“Our seniors are all so talented and they know what is best for our team to focus on our strengths,” Ceriotti said.

According to Porterfield the preparation for the Rockhurst performance is different from other performances.

“Unlike other routines, which we work months on, [the Rockhurst routine] is taught the week before and only done once,” Porterfield said.

Senior captain Katie Daniels said the team practices at 5:30 a.m. before school and during activity periods the week of the Rockhurst routine.

Porterfield said for the week of the Rockhurst performance members of the team give each other gifts to keep everyone excited about the performance.

“Everyone on the team agrees that this is our most fun performance of the year,” Daniels said. “It’s probably where we have the most people watching us, which is really exciting.”

Ceriotti said this performance is so important because the team is able to show their talents to a much larger crowd.

“Other than our STA vs. Sion game, this is one of the biggest crowds we have all year,” Cerotti said. “It is a great environment to dance in and the audience gets very excited, including the boys of course.”

Daniels said that overall the performance was great.

“Our team had so much energy out on the field,” Daniels said. “After practicing at Rockhurst that day, I think everyone felt more comfortable with the dance, and could focus on performance rather than sequence.”