Swimming State preview

photo courtesy of St. Teresa’s Academy
by Cassie Florido

Feb. 15-16 the STA swim team will travel to St. Louis to compete in the Missouri State Swim competition.

After qualifying at previous swim meets earlier in the season, the Stars have three relay teams and four individual swimmers competing at the meet.

According to head coach Andrew Wilcox, on the first day of State there will be 460 girls from Missouri swimming in the competition.

For the first day of the meet the team will compete in the preliminary races. On the second day, the relay teams and swimmers that qualify will move forward to participate in the finals.

For the Stars, the 200 Medley team consists of juniors Maggie Allen and Katie Hornbeck, and sophomores Fee Pauwels and Taran Smith.

Allen says the 200 Medley relay team’s goal for this race is to finish in the top 16. The team is currently ranked in the top 20 for this event.

Allen also says she is excited to experience the competition.

“Swimming at State is a great privilege and sharing the experience with my team makes it so much better,” Allen said.

photo courtesy of St. Teresa’s Academy

The 200 Freestyle relay team consists of senior Rosie Hutchinson, junior Dominique Spini, senior Jane Evans and sophomore Haley Baldwin.

The 400 Freestyle relay team consists of Evans, sophomore Lauren Zastrow, Baldwin and Hutchinson.

The individual qualifiers for the State meet include Evans, Hornbeck, Hutchison and Baldwin.

Evans will compete in the 100 Freestyle race. Hornbeck will swim in the 100 Breaststroke race. Hutchison will compete in both the 200 Freestyle and the 100 Freestyle. Baldwin will race in the 200 Individual Medley and the 100 Backstroke.

Baldwin says that even though she is nervous for this weekend, she hopes that she can perform to the best of her ability and make her team and family proud.

“The goals I want to accomplish for State is of course to get all [the] best times in my events,” Baldwin said. “But most of all, I would like to make it to the top 16 in State.”

Wilcox says he has several goals for the upcoming competition.

“[The goals are] to get two of the three relays and three individual swims back on Saturday,” Wilcox said. “A couple of All State First team members would be icing on the cake.”

Wilcox says he is excited and nervous going into the competition, but he knows the team is “betting it all” on this meet.