Tube Socks and Sports Bras: The curse

by Cassie Florido

Da na na, da na na. The SportsCenter app lights up my phone as another update is sent out. Breaking news. Another final score. Another upset.

As I read the little red bubble on my screen, I marvel over the score and note the top scorers. But as I look at the team names and the winning team, I wonder…HOW?

The game clock ticks out. Fans rush the court. Another final score. Another upset. HOW?

Everyday my phone seems to blow up with updates of upset after upset. Every week it seems fans are rushing the court celebrating their upset. This season, I’m beginning to think upsets are becoming a common thing in basketball.

Last night, with 0.9 seconds left in the game, unranked Illinois scored the winning layup to upset #1 Indiana. Despite recent struggles Illinois managed to pull off the unexpected upset. There is only one explanation, the curse.

The infamous #1 seed curse seems to strike at the most unexpected times. Usually the curse seems to sneak up on #1 teams when they least expect it. The curse usually isn’t a common occurrence, but this year it’s become the regular.

Including Indiana’s loss last night, the #1 team has lost five weeks in a row. Nobody can hold onto that top ranking. The curse won’t allow it.

But this year it seems many of the top 10 teams have also gotten the bitter taste of the curse.

On Tuesday, #2 Florida lost to an unranked Arkansas team. But not only did they lose, Arkansas made it look easy.

On Wednesday, Kansas got a bad taste of “the curse” against a TCU team that only had a 4.5% chance of winning the game, according the BPI game predictor. 4.5 percent. ESPN even reports that this loss for Kansas was worse than any 16 seed in the tournament defeating a 1 seed. Yikes. While I was humored by the Jayhawks’ loss, some questions came into my head.

Is this another case of the “overrated?” Another case of “the curse?” Is this just a lucky game for the underdog? Or are there really no dominant teams in college basketball this year?

Honestly, I think it’s all of the above.

Either the top teams are taking the underdogs lightly, or the underdogs are gunning for the top teams even more this year. Maybe there are no real “top dogs” this season. Maybe teams are more evenly matched this year. Maybe somewhere at a local Buffalo Wild Wings an employee is pushing that button to make all of these upsets occur.

Could this possibly be the year that a number #16 seed beats a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament? Well, probably not. But, I can tell you I wouldn’t be surprised if it actually happened with the way this season is playing out.

This might be the weirdest basketball season I have experienced. If you were to ask me who I thought would win the national championship this year, I would honestly tell you I have no idea. It could be anyone. This year, the teams are so unpredictable. I guess the saying “anyone can win on any given night,” really is true this year. It should make for an interesting March Madness.