Musical cast to attend Edinburgh Theatre festival

STA was chosen to attend Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland, the largest theatrical event in the world according to drama teacher Shana Prentiss. | by MICAH WILKINS

STA was recently chosen to attend the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland to perform a play.  The festival is a three-week, international event featuring performances of all kinds.  According to Drama teacher Shana Prentiss, the festival is the largest theatrical event in the world.

‘Edinburgh becomes a stage,’ Prentiss said.  ‘Pretty much any space that can become a stage becomes a theatrical outlet for theatre, dance and any form of art.’

The cast will perform in August 2010, and the play to be performed will be chosen later in the year by Prentiss. STA was nominated in January to be in the American High School Festival and Prentiss were notified of their acceptance earlier this week.

‘Typically 50 schools throughout the country are chosen,’ Prentiss said.  ‘And three schools in Missouri were chosen.’

Prentiss is unsure of how STA will raise the money to travel to Scotland, however she wants to begin by seeking out with large donors, coordinating fundraisers and applying for loans.

‘It’s going to be a lot of work,’ Prentiss said.  ‘But it’s definitely worth it.’