St. Teresa’s Academy’s soccer field is begging for a renovation

Some call it a plot of yellow-ish grass; some call it the neighborhood field. Some call it a dog park, the land of sprained ankles and some, even yet, call it a tragic hole in the ground. Whatever you choose to call it, this area is what I have had to call my home soccer field for the past four years at STA.

Yes, it’s the same field across which everyone in the neighborhood walks their dogs (and we all know what lovely surprises come with taking a dog for a walk). Yes, it’s the same field the little neighborhood kiddos can be seen making snowmen or playing flag football on. Yes, it’s the same field many STA students (and likely numerous students from other schools) have attained various injuries from. Yes, it’s the same field that was finally deemed too terrible to play on last year, so we’ve been playing our home games at Rockhurst University ever since. And yes, it’s the same field someone drove across March 23, the night of the campus vandalism, as if our field wasn’t bad enough already. A big thanks to whoever you are.

Name one other school where this stuff happens on their fields (injuries at other fields are not usually from craters in the ground). Other people don’t respect our field and, quite honestly, it’s not so hard to see why. If the rickety goals held stationary by sandbags weren’t there, I wouldn’t even know our field was a soccer field.

I could write a novel about every time a perfect pass has been coming my way, my foot is out and ready to receive the ball and, all of a sudden, the ball hits a bump, rock, tire track, who knows, flies up and goes a totally unexpected direction. Or, about how many times I’ve rolled my ankles in one of the countless trenches hidden around the field. Or, maybe, best yet, just a novel about our field compared to every other school’s. Now, that would be a good one.

No one’s field is as bad as ours. No one’s.

And it’s embarrassing to have other schools come play at our field. I would rather drive two hours on a smelly, crammed school bus to Topeka Hayden High School than have them come play us at STA. We have to play one home game against Liberty High School at STA this year because we can’t get Rockhurst’s field that night, and we’ve been joking around saying things like, “Well, hopefully the bumps will slow them down” and “At least we’ll be used to the field.” But we’re dead serious. It’s embarrassing.

But wouldn’t you know the administration is finally looking to renovate our home field’¦after I graduate.

While I know I will be incredibly jealous of the generations of soccer players to come that will have the opportunity to play on a nice field, free of craters, trenches, pits, bumps, rocks, tire tracks and other random things no one really knows why they’re there, thank goodness STA is finally taking the steps necessary to create a home field it can be proud of. It’s amazing how successful the soccer program at STA has been, despite our lack of nice facilities. Just imagine what the future generations can do with a nice field to practice and play on.

Thank you from the soccer program to whoever finally listened to our pleas.

Click here to read “St. Teresa’s board of directors hopes to renovate soccer facilities.”