STA basketball defeats O’Hara in overtime

by Cassie Florido

The last 10 seconds of the game clock begin to run off. The score stands at 56-56. The Stars have one more possession to beat the Celtics. With the ball and the game in her hands, senior Becca Lueke drives down the right side of the lane toward the basket. As Lueke shoots the ball, her body collides with a defender. As the Archbishop O’Hara High School player falls to the ground, Lueke’s shot goes through the basket. The whistle sounds and the referee makes his call. Fans from both teams jump up cheering. But the cheers of the STA fans quickly fade away as the call is clarified. Charge.

Screams of “bad call” come from the fans and the STA coaches. Shock is the only expression on the faces of the players on the STA bench. The Celtics are given one more chance to win the game. With three seconds left, an O’Hara player drives down the court and passes the ball to teammate junior Amanda Hull. As Hull takes the final shot, the horn sounds. No good. Overtime.

The scoreboard remains at 56-56. The Stars one-time 15-point lead had evaporated, and both teams sit on the bench preparing for another four minutes of play.

“I think we thought we had the win so we didn’t play as hard for part of the game,” junior Maggie Herrington said.

Frustrated and shocked by being called for her fourth foul, Lueke says she knew she did not need to worry about the charge call because they still had to play overtime.

Herrington, who finished the game for the Stars with 16 points, says the team knew they had to play smarter than they did in the second half.

In the final minutes of the overtime period, important players on both teams fouled out of the game. For the Stars, Lueke fouled out with charge call similar to the play in the closing seconds of regulation. Lueke had a total of 13 points for the Stars. The Celtics’ leading scorer, Hull, fouled out with 27 points.

Due to senior Maggie Rellihan recovering from a torn ACL and Lueke fouling out, the Stars had to finish the game without any senior leadership.

Two freshman stepped up and scored crucial points in the closing minutes of the game. Freshman Eleanor Lueke was fouled, leading to two points from the free throw line. With one final burst from freshman Grace Kitts, resulting in five points, and a game total of 18 points, the Stars were able to defeat the Celtics 65-59.

After the game, head coach Chance Stephen said he knew they had the better team, “[the team] just had to stay in control and show poise [in overtime].”

Stephen believed the reason O’Hara was able to come back in the fourth quarter was because the team did not give enough effort rebounding and gave up too many offensive rebounds.

“Moving forward we just need to do a better job of being consistent and listening to our coaches all the time,” Herrington said. “They prepare us for everything that we are going to see in games and so our job is to just execute.”

The team’s record now stands at 2-3 on the season. After a 38-40 loss to Bashor-Linwood High School on Thursday.

Lueke says that since the team is young, they need more experience. However, she says that with only five games played, the team is already improving.