Coaches, athletes discuss upcoming spring season

Soccer sets goals on State championship from beginning

The STA varsity soccer team is determined to win a state title this season. The team is striving to win after a losing record in 2009. After a third place finish at State in 2008, the team, especially seniors, are hoping to win it all this year.

‘We haven’t won State in over four years,’ varsity player, senior Maegan Kelly said. ‘I told my older sister, who won state three times at STA, I would win four times while I was here but I have yet to win.’

In order to make this year a more successful season, the team will focus on avoiding injuries, according to varsity coach Scott Siegal.

‘The main thing we have to do is stay healthy,’ Siegel said. ‘We had a lot of the starters that were injured last year. The girls also need to make a commitment to each other to do what is best for the team every day, not just themselves.’

According to varsity player, junior Caroline Gray, the team dynamic is essential to winning.

‘The main goal we have this year is to have better team chemistry,’ Gray said. ‘We plan to have a lot of team bonding and make sure to have a lot of fun together.’

With a lot of talent and experience on the team, including eight seniors, there is a good chance of winning State, according to Gray.

‘[Getting a state title] will not be easy, but it never is,’ Siegel said. ‘If the girls have gotten better over the past nine months, we will have just as a good a shot as anyone in winning the State tournament.’

Track and field begins season with new even and head coach Amanda James

With an increase in athletes and a new head coach, STA counselor Amanda James, the track and field team will have a new outlook this season, according to runner, freshman Sarah Vickery.

‘The track team may seem new right now, but Coach James has been doing a great job so far,’ Vickery said. ‘I think it will be a really good season.’

James has already made new additions to the program since the 2009 season. The coaches will began implementing plyometric training one day per week as a new exercise into track-and-field practices. This includes flexibility and strength training through jumping exercises.

Along a new practice routine, the team will be taking some varsity athletes to the Kansas University Relays.

‘This is an exciting meet to participate in because it is a high school meet, college meet and professional meet all rolled into one,’ James said. ‘There are several Olympic and professional athletes who will be competing at this meet as well.’

Before each meet, the team’s goal should be improving times and team spirit, according to junior Gina Franken.

‘Our goal is always to come out on top,’ Franken said. ‘More realistically, the ultimate goal would be going to state and for each person to get their best PR. It would also be nice to become a lot closer as a team.’

Franken believes James has been a great addition to the track and field program, hoping for her to improve all athletes individually and as a team.

‘To be the most successful this season, we have to work for it,’ Franken said. ‘We cannot cut corners or take the easy way because we have to gain the strength and speed that we need. A strict coach who pushes us to the breaking point, and sometimes even past it, is necessary in order for us to reach our true potential.’

Lacrosse starts season with more experience

As only the third year in the developing lacrosse program at STA, the head coach Jessica Hanna is beginning to require more out of the team.

‘I hope to have a winning JV and varsity team and get the developmental team to become better lacrosse players,’ Hanna said.

The three teams will be working together during practice to build skills and teammwork.

‘[All three teams] spend about twenty minutes working with the new people each practice,’ Hanna said. ‘I believe [the more experienced players] learn from when they teach and the [less experienced players] learn from people who are more experienced.’

Any upperclassen that steps up on any of the three teams are assets to the team dynamic, according to Hanna. Junior Molly Meagher and seniors Claire Mahoney, Maura Hinken, Jordan Miller among others each stand out as leaders on the team.

The Blue Valley Lacrosse and Kansas City Club teams look to be big competition but each tournament the team plays in is as important as the next.

In order to achieve success, the team must focus on the fundamentals.

‘Working on basic skills is essential to becoming the most successful this season,’ Hanna said.