Varsity softball players set records at STA

by Libby Hyde, photo by Menley Brennan
photo by Menley Brennan

Many STA varsity softball players broke records this season for single season records as well as career records. Those students which broke records include junior Mary Gibson, sophomores Ally Drummond and Allison Bresette and freshman Rachel Allard.

Gibson broke the all time hit by pitch record with being hit six times and stole bases 28 times. Drummond hit 10 doubles this season, breaking the doubles record previously set in 2003 and tied in 2009. Bresette broke the runners caught stealing record as varsity catcher, catching 15 of 22 runners stealing and breaking the record previously set in 2007 and again in 2010.

Previously set at 27 in 2003, Allard had 31 RBIs in a single season, breaking the all time RBI record at STA. Allard also pitched 124 innings in a single season, breaking the previous record set in 2010.

Gibson said it was exciting to find out she had broken a record for STA.

“I found out I broke the steals record as soon as I stole third,” Gibson said. “I stood up on the base and [Varsity coach Ty Abney] just said ‘Congratulations’ and patted me on the head.”

The STA varsity softball team rounded out their season in a loss against Raymore Peculiar High School during district semi-finals Oct. 4.