St. Teresa’s Academy’s classes no student should miss before graduation

Contemporary Theology

Contemporary theology, taught by Ms. Anita Reznicek, asks students about about their religion, belief in God and God’s role in the world through class discussions, student presentations and research papers. According to the 2010 Program of Studies, ‘in an attempt to prepare students for college work, this course will introduce upper level students to the academic disciplines of theology and philosophy.’

Current senior Kathleen McClain said that although contemporary theology has challenged her traditional thinking, it is Reznicek, not the class, that has inspired this change.

‘I think every student needs to take a [Reznicek] class before they graduate,’ McClain said. ‘With her teaching style and the things she has to say, you can just tell she’s spewing wisdom the whole time. She makes you think in a totally new way. It’s the most challenged I’ve ever been in a class. I just think it’s something [students] need before they go off to college.”

Current Events

Mr. Craig Whitney’s current events class introduces juniors and seniors to global issues and what is happening in the world today.

The 2010 Program of Studies says that curiosity and discussion drives success in this class. It asks students what is happening in the world, how it affects students’ lives and what effect it will have on the future, as well as how they can get involved.

According to senior Sam Roach, the class challenges students to expand their world view and consider other nations and their contributions to society.

‘It’s interesting to discuss and it makes you more aware of what’s going on in the world today,” Roach said.

Women in Literature

English teacher Katie Dolan’s Women in literature class is an English elective for upperclassmen that focuses on women’s contributions to poetry, novels, short stories and drama through discussions, presentations and group projects.

According to junior Megan Porterfield, Dunlay’s class has not only taught her about women’s societal roles, but about herself as well.

“It’s a lot of open discussion about women in literature and in society and their influence,” Porterfield said. “It’s identifying yourself as a woman.”

Improvisation–theatre arts

Drama teacher Shana Prentiss’ improvisation–theatre arts class teaches sophomores, juniors and seniors the keys to comedic acting and quick thinking. According to the Program of Studies, “through improvisation, monologues and scene work, students will gain a deeper understanding for the art of comedic acting.”

Current student, senior Anne Marie Whitehead, said that the improvisation class has an exciting environment that helps take a break from her stressful course load.

“Any of Prentiss’ classes you can’t miss,” Whitehead said. “They are so much fun and a good change from the hard routine of [difficult] classes.”

Theology in film: violence unveiled

Theology in film taught by Ms. Betsy Hansbrough teaches students about the violence depicted in film and how it relates to the real world.

The Program of Studies says students will “develop a keen eye in recognizing humanity’s tendency to imitate, insinuate and scapegoat and will learn Gospel ways of counteracting with forgiveness, compassion and love.”

Senior Angelica DeSimio said that although watching movies seems like it would not be a great learning experience, it has taught her that learning does not have to come from a book.

“A lot of girls would like to just watch movies instead of taking a class with a lot of reading and writing, but this one incorporates both,” DeSimio said. “It’s not like learning book material, it’s applying the book material to life. It’s just a great tool to learn from.”