NICE TO MEET YOU: My first experiment proves successful with Sophomore Kerry Egan

Students and teachers in the STA community have made conscious efforts to encourage students to branch out ‘“ to look past stereotypes and get to know the real person in the tartan plaid. So I started thinking, what can I personally do to make that barriers between us a little flimsier and  encourage others to do the same?

I decided to introduce myself to another student at STA and take her out on a ‘date.’ I want to spend 20 minutes with someone new, sipping coffee and discovering what makes her tick.

The big question was, ‘Who will be my first victim?’

After facing total rejection at one lunch table, I moved on to another and followed pointing fingers to a young woman whom her friends considered outgoing enough to face a big, bad (and creepy) senior. Miss Kerry Joan Egan, sophomore, Visitation grade school alumna and youngest of two children, agreed to meet me at the Roasterie the next day.

It is my theory that Kerry ordered a 16 oz iced tea because it is one of the cheapest things on the menu. Evidently, she’s a polite gal.

Modest, too. Kerry seemed to think she was just a regular chick with nothing super interesting to tell me, but I was immediately impressed.

‘What have you been doing since school ended?’ I asked. It was 5:30.

‘Homework,’ Kerry replied.

Homework?! She’s a non-procrastinator! Until meeting Kerry, I didn’t know they really existed. I mean, I have heard fairy tales about kids that don’t watch TV until their homework is finished and fall soundly asleep at 10 p.m., but I had never seen one in the flesh.

Yet there she was, sitting across from me, homework completed and ready for a night at the Royals game with her family. I of course explored further.

Kerry told me that she has to do her homework at the kitchen table every day and freaks out if she hasn’t started before nightfall. At this point I was past intrigued and just plain jealous. I have a severe case of chronic procrastination. But, guess what? Kerry changed me! Okay maybe not completely ‘“ I’m past the point of no return -  but I did go straight home and start my homework. Maybe punctuality is contagious. But Kerry’s work ethic is only one small aspect that stuck out the most to me. She has so much more to share.

Maybe we’ll talk again and I’ll learn even more. Maybe the next girl I meet will be my long-lost best friend. Maybe the girl after that will be my worst enemy. That’s the thing about meeting new people ‘“ it’s unpredictable. But there’s one thing I know for sure: I now have one more person to wave to as I walk across the quad.

Kerry Egan, it was nice to meet you.