Celebrating St. Teresa’s Academy in the last decade 2000-2010

St. Teresa's has stuck around for over 140 years.

Happy Anniversary!

In 2006, the entire student body aligned themselves into the number 140 in celebration of the 140th anniversary of STA’s existance. 2009 was both the celebration of 100 years at Windmoor and the 60th anniversary of Academy Woman.

Star Athletes

In 2002, under coach Scott Siegel, the varsity soccer team became State champions for the first time. They went 26-1 that season and won State again in 2003, 2005 and 2006. After that, three girls won the Girls Gatorade of the Year awards for soccer and volleyball. STA graduates Lauren Fowlkes and Molly Campbell received this award for state girls soccer in the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 seasons, respectively. And 2007 graduate Michelle Jantsch received this award for state volleyball in the 2007-2008 season. In 2006, the volleyball team won state with a 36-4 season record.

Technology Touch-up

In the last ten years, SmartBoards and video projectors have replaced many of the overhead projectors and VCR’s. STA has also upgraded its computers, especially after purchasing the Macs in the publication room and computer lab which arrived on campus in 2008. Even phones have made an advance. According to science teacher Renee Blake, just within the last few years, teachers have upgraded from having maybe two phones per floor to having one phone per room.

Leadership and Legacy

STA welcomed president Nan Bone and principal for academic affairs Barbara McComick in 2007 and 2009, respectively, who replaced Dr. Faith Wilson and Ms. Nancy Hand after nearly 30 years of service to the school. Sister Harriet Koutsoumpas, CSJ, also left the STA community after passing in March of 2008. A scholarship fund and a plaque in the gym commemorate her passion for and dedication to faith, education, service and STA.

Theatre goes to Europe

Last year, STA’s theatre department was invited to participate in the Fringe Festival which takes place in Edinburgh, Scotland during August of 2010. The festival “includes over 1,800 different performances of music, dance, theatre and comedy in its three week run,” according to the STA website. STA’s thespians will perform their production of Greater Tuna at the festival.

Renovations and Additions

Beginning with the installation of air conditioning and elevators in buildings, which occurred between 2000-2004, STA has continued to renovate, add and design over the decade. The first phase of the auditorium renovation, which included re-carpeting, new painting and a seating upgrade, was completed in the fall of 2009. STA also plans on adding a chapel and classrooms south of Donnelly.

Academic Achievements

2008 valedictorian Kellyn Smith was named a Presidential Scholar, one of two students in the state selected among more than 2 million other high school students. This year, STA senior Celeste Bremen earned a perfect score on the SAT. According to the STA website, fewer than .0002% of students nationwide score a perfect 2400 on this test.

New Courses

In the past decade, numerous courses have been added to the STA curriculum. STA now offers eight AP classes, such as AP US Government, AP Biology and AP Studio Art, and nine college credit courses through Rockhurst University. Some of these courses include College Physics, College Calculus II and College French III, IV and V.

Endowment

For the first time, STA’s Capital Campaign offered an endowment to its students last year. Over 80 students received help with tuition and more than 150 students received scholarhip funds. This category in the Inspiring Women Capital Campaign aims to “reward academic achievement, provide financial assistance and create a diverse student body,” according to the STA website.

Kicking off Kairos

In the spring of 1999, STA students and a Rockhurst High School faculty member put on the first Kairos retreat at STA. Ever since, STA students and faculty have coordinated this retreat, and STA’s 28th Kairos members returned Friday.

Do you remember?

STA teachers and students recall STA memories over the decade:

Kayla Kratofil, memorable game theme (2006) “Spartans was a great game theme because everyone got really into it and dressed in these sweet, 300 outfits. It was the first time we ever stormed the court! The energy in the gym was amazing!”

Mary Montag, best senior prank (2006) “The Flamingos: [The] students…got them in February…so some parent had to agree to keep 1000 stuffed birds for three months. The arrangement was classic with [the flamingos] in a circle around the seal… Then [the seniors placed] red garbage bags over the lights so the whole quad was pink. It was creative, cute and no vandalism.”

Pat Dunlay, diversity week (2008) “I especially liked the diversity assembly we used to have when kids from a variety of cultures got to show off clothing, dances, and food. I think that ended last year.”

Compiled from STA website, STA teachers Hershewe, Dunlay, Blake, Egner, Garvin, Montag, Good