St. Teresa’s Academy varsity soccer team takes advantage of all-school open gym time

High Flyin’: Junior Cele Fryer, left, tackles freshman Maggie Jo Rellihan at the soccer open gym Jan. 17. The gym will be open to any STA soccer players Sunday afternoons.

From day one, Athletic Director Mark Hough has been aiming for the improvement of STA’s current program by increasinginvolvement school wide. The adopted idea of open gym has proven to be affective for athletes on the soccer team in preparing for their upcoming season.
‘We just want to get [the school] here and have the facility open for them to work out,’ Hough said. ‘I think if one girls shows up, it’s a good deal.’
In order to hold open gyms for specific teams, the school must open up the alotted gym time for everyone in the school. From there, individual teams must make their own initiative to come together. These guidelines have been set by the Missouri State High School Activities Association, MSHSAA.
According to head varsity soccer coach Scott Siegel the main goal of having the open gym is to get a head start on the season and gather the girls together to play with one another before tryouts, March 1.
‘It really is open to everyone and we are expecting more young girls to be coming out the longer we get into it,’ Siegel said.

Open Gym Schedule

Athletic Director Mark Hough encourages girls of all grades and all ability levels to work out during these times.

‘Work outs are fun and relaxed!’

If these times do not work for you, please see Hough to work something out that better fits your schedule!

Tuesday 3:30-5:00 coach Amanda James

Thursday 3:30-5:00 coach Amanda James

Sunday 4:30-5:45 coach Scott Siegel

Contact coach James and coach Siegel for additional information

Former season’s varsity team captain Kerry Cummings feels the need to show leadership to encourage girls to come.
‘[The varsity team] definitely lacked in team chemistry last year and doing [the open gym sessions] is really good for us to realize that we’re serious about this season,’ Cummings said. ‘Everyone knows we want to go to State and that we’re really dedicated to making that happen.’
Siegel agreed in that participating in the open gym time will only further the girls’ chances to play in the State tournament.

”¦If we are committed to getting better every day we are at practice and during games, we have enough talent to return to State again this spring,’ Siegel said. ‘This gives the girls who have not played soccer with each other for a long time a few opportunities to get back playing with other, hopefully that will give us ahead start leading into the season.’