Savannah Trujillo travels overseas for soccer, sets future goals

Freshman STA varsity soccer player traveled to Holland to compete against players three years older than her over spring break. The trip affected her attitude about soccer by exposing her to new techniques, a more casual soccer culture, college coaches and a mentor.

Overseas, Savannah Trujillo was surprised to see pick-up games of her favorite sport beginning spontaneously in streets, alleyways and open fields. Water bottles were used as balls and kicked into trash cans, and the unorganized games, comprised mostly of boys, were played with any accessible, convenient equipment. Trujillo soon recognized that these games were just for fun and were a normality in the society, unlike the formal soccer with accurately lined fields, three uniformed referees and bench full of subs, she was used to. Trujillo admired the European culture across the cities she visited: Belgium, Amsterdam and Utrecht, and began to see how highly they valued the sport of soccer in their everyday lives.

“In [Europe], soccer isn’t just a game,” Trujillo said. “It’s part of their culture.”

Back at home, Trujillo plays with the US Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program (ODP) Region II ’95 Girls Team in the national pool, aside from her premier club team and the STA varsity team. The selection process for this national team began when Trujillo tried out for and made the Missouri State ODP Team. According to mysa.org, the State ODP program is the starting point for regional and national levels of play and serves as a source of development, where one can train with other players of equal or better ability, and utilize the skills of carefully selected licensed coaches.

Trujillo then further advanced in the ODP process, by attending the regional camp in DeKalb, Ill. during the summer. Trujillo made the regional team, which consists of approximately 18 girls from across the Midwest. The regional teams’ participants were then thrown into the national team pool for their age group of the top 100 girls in the country. Finally, Trujillo was picked for this national team, where she now currently stands in her soccer career.

STA varsity soccer head coach Jeremy MacElduff believes making this national team is a rare honor and, therefore, opens up many doors of opportunity for a soccer player.

“Savannah is one of 30 or so players that are selected from around the country to play or train with the national team set-up,” MacElduff said in an email interview. “It’s another opportunity to get coaching or advice from top level coaches and work with coaches and players that can push [you] in different ways.”

Trujillo believes that playing internationally and representing the US national team is difficult, but rewarding, and properly balances fun and competition.

“On [the national team], everyone is there to compete and everyone has that drive and desire to make it a competitive environment, while making it challenging and fun at the same time,” Trujillo said.

Trujillo plays on a club team called KCFC Futura Academy, while concurrently competing on the national team. Trujillo finds that the national team has helped her develop into a well-rounded soccer player.

“There are so many coaches and good players that help you work to the best of your ability and challenge you to be better than everyone there competing,” Trujillo said.

On her European excursion, Trujillo and the national team were accompanied by the University of Wisconsin women’s soccer head coach Paula Wilkins and Wisconsin-Milwaukee coaching mentor Mike Moynihan. They traveled overseas to compete against under 17 and 18 European national teams, who had both three years of age and soccer experience on the 14 year olds on Trujillo’s team. The US team lost all three of their games: 2-0, 2-1 and 3-0.

Despite the losses, playing soccer abroad enhanced Trujillo’s entire view of the game and taught her different techniques and skills.

“Playing against people from other countries gave me a whole new outlook on the game,’ Trujillo said. “They have a unique style of play and different strategies that are hard to compete with. They learn how to read the game and how to play fast under pressure. They understand the game more and are really technically sound.”

MacElduff agrees that competing against other countries helps a player view different styles of play.

Along with her coaches, Trujillo’s parents have also played a supportive role in her soccer endeavors and eventually in her goal of playing soccer on the collegiate level.

“I just tell her to do her best and put out what she can,” Trujillo’s mom Stephanie said. “She is an extremely hard worker and usually pushes herself harder than I have to. I just drive her where she needs to be, and support her by being there for her to talk about what she can do to accomplish her goals.”

As Trujillo’s high school soccer coach, MacElduff has already begun to recognize Trujillo’s goals and potential at the beginning of the spring soccer season.

“[Savannah] is one of those players who can play almost anywhere on the field,” MacElduff wrote. “She has a nose for the goal and is always looking to attack. She is very skilled and strong on and off the ball. [Savannah] reads and knows the game very well, especially for such a young player.”

Trujillo explains her feelings for soccer are “indescribable.”

“Soccer isn’t really just a hobby for me,” Trujillo said. “It’s my life and I have a fiery passion for the sport. I’m in love with the game and if I was stranded on an island with just a soccer ball, I would be set.”