Freshman chooses between track and soccer

When the time came for STA spring sports tryouts, freshman Mary Gibson believed she would be able to play both track and soccer. Eventually, she had to choose running varsity track over JV soccer. She had been playing soccer since kindergarten and running track since fourth grade. Gibson said athletic director Mark Hough told her they would work out a schedule that would allow her to play both sports. However, Gibson said that although JV coach [getting name] was willing to work out a practice schedule, head track and field coach Amanda James didn’t believe it was fair for Gibson to run varsity over other girls who would attended every practice. Hough had a meeting with the two coaches and told Gibson she had to choose. Although Gibson ended up choosing track, she called the decision hard to make.

“[Hough] said that it would be exhausting and really stressful but I was willing to try to make it work because those had both been my main sports all through middle school,” Gibson said. “I was willing to sacrifice a few hours of sleep a night to play both.”
According to James, an athlete should not play two sports at one time.

‘My opinion is that you should focus on one sport at once,’ James said. ‘It’s really hard to play two sports at once and be good at both. I think you’re spreading yourself too thin.’

According to Hough, the school does not have a specific policy on athletes wanting to play two sports at once.

‘We evaluate each situation on a case-by-case basis considering the demands put on by the individual involved and the unique characteristics of each sport,’ Hough wrote  in an email. ‘Generally speaking, it will be very difficult to manage two sports in the same season and equally as difficult for two sports schedules to work in sync with each other.’
In hindsight, Gibson agrees with James that playing two sports at once would’ve been too much to handle.
“I’m actually really glad that I had to pick,” Gibson said.”I’m already stressed out enough. Plus I would have to miss practices, which means I wouldn’t get much playing time for soccer or get to participate in all the meets anyway.”

James said that although STA does not advocate dual sport athletes, she was willing to work with Gibson so that she could make the best decision for her.

“If she wanted to play both sports at one time, [our coaches] would work with [Gibson],” James said. “But our coaches and staff would go ahead and release her from track and field so she can focus on soccer.”
Gibson said that even though she loves to play soccer, she still would have chosen track in the end.
“[Making varsity] was never going to happen,” Gibson said. “But if I did, I still would have chosen track. I would have been the worst on the team and never would have played.”
Gibson also said she has no plans to continue playing soccer on a competitive level.
“I do love soccer, but I don’t really see the point of playing club anymore,” Gibson said. “I am thinking about playing on a rec team next spring though.”
In the end, even though Gibson had to choose between two sports she loves, she wants to do her best to meet her goals this season. Gibson said the meet she is most proud of is the Miege meet, where she placed first in the 100 and 200-meter preliminary races and second in the 100-meter final.
“I feel a lot more self satisfaction seeing my times and how they’re improving,” Gibson said. “It’s a lot more gratifying than soccer where you just score a goal. The satisfaction lasts longer because you always have a time to beat and something to strive for.”