Science bowl team looks to attract freshmen

Despite advertising, team seeks freshmen with little success | by KATIE HYDE

After distributing flyers to all freshmen mailboxes, hanging posters around campus and making daily announcements, science teacher Mary Montag was not surprised when two freshmen out of a class of 142 girls attended the first meeting.

In her 11 years of moderating the science quiz bowl, Montag has noticed a pattern in enrollment: freshmen do not join as often as upperclassmen.  According to Montag, there is only one reason why freshmen are not involved in her team: they are not as familiar with the material as upperclassmen.

‘Quite honestly a freshman is not going to know as much as an upperclassman in many categories [of science bowl competitions],’ Montag said.  ‘They just have not had the courses [an upperclassman has taken].’

The science quiz bowl is an academic team of about 20 students who meet weekly to learn science trivia and prepare for two annual competitions, the Avila University Women”s Science and Math Challenge in November and the National Science Bowl at Rockhurst University in February. At Avila, all the questions are multiple choice, and the top eight to ten members of each team compete by answering questions on paper. At Rockhurst, the team is divided into groups of up to five members in a four round competition with differently formatted questions. The teams use buzzers and can only consult with teammates before buzzing.

Although she has not taken botany, chemistry or biology, freshmen Meaghan Coble joined the team along with fellow freshmen Ruby Dibble to get involved at STA.

“When I heard about the team, I was really excited for an opportunity to get involved in science and to meet other students,” Coble said.  “I think the quiz bowl is a great way to learn science and to have fun. Since I”ve joined, I have not felt at a disadvantage on the team.  All the upperclassmen are really welcoming.”

Although science trivia has challenged freshmen in the past, according to Montag, freshmen also gave another reason for not joining: their friends were not.

Sophomore Megan Hodes, who joined the team this year, agrees with Montag that social influences impacted her decision not to join her freshmen year. Similar to this year, only two freshmen were on the team last year.

‘I heard about [the team] from other girls, but I did not do that sort of thing when I was a freshman because it seemed like it was only for the upperclassmen,’ Hodes said.  ‘Also, none of my friends were doing it.  If you are a freshmen who does not know the other girls [on the team] it is kind of awkward.  But now that I have joined the team [as a sophomore], I realize the girls are all really welcoming.’

Coble encourages her classmates to get involved at STA, regardless of their friend”s choices.

“Freshmen, branch out!” Coble said. “Everyone at STA is so welcoming.”

Ms. Montag’s 5 reasons why a sudent should join the quiz bowl team:

1. A fun way to learn science and trivia

2. You meet other STA students who love science and trivia

3. A great way to represent STA

4. A great way to practice for SAT and ACT tests

5. Where else are you going to learn the color of Yak’s milk?